What is SMART? SMART-Students Mobilizing Awareness and Reducing Tragedies- is a suicide prevention program created by SAVE for motivated student groups on high school and college campuses nationwide. SMART program staff, in partnership with student leaders, organize motivated students who are passionate about raising mental health and suicide awareness on campus and in the community. Additionally, the program allows students the opportunity to design and implement custom suicide prevention programming that best fits the size and needs of their schools. These efforts increase capacity for stronger, safer and overall healthier communities.
Through the use of social media, peer-to-peer outreach, educational seminars, awareness events and activities, and annual training, SMART aims to accomplish the following:
- Increasing a sense of well being in school by teaching effective coping skills
- Reducing stigma towards mental illnesses and suicide
- Encouraging early screening for mental illnesses and advocate professional treatment among students if needed
- Teaching and showing students the signs and symptoms of mental illness
- Displaying many resources for students to use for help by increasing connections between youth population and mental health professionals
SMART is adapted for both high school and colleges and university level students.
- To get involved and make a difference! With each contact you make, you will be working to reduce stigma by starting a conversation about suicide and mental health.
- To SAVE lives! As a member, you will be a leader in changing the way our society thinks about the causes and prevention of suicide.
- It looks good on an application or resume. You will learn life-long leadership and planning skills that are marketable for any career path.
- Learn more about safe messaging. Learn how to accurately present suicide and mental illness information to protect the safety and well-being of vulnerable individuals.
- Become a leader in the suicide prevention movement! You and your school will be on the forefront of the ever growing suicide prevention movement.
Role of SMART
The program entails recruiting motivated students who are passionate about suicide awareness to help spread our messages about suicide prevention and increase the capacity of individuals and communities to respond quickly in the aftermath of a suicide. This program is continuous throughout the year, leaving one large fundraising event, and one small awareness event to be held each quarter/semester. The small awareness event could be as simple as disseminating educational material in your campus’s common area between classes.
The SAVE National Office provides each program with an established infrastructure, professional expertise, technical support, and provides additional opportunities to purchase evidence-based educational materials to utilize within your school and local community.
For more information contact Natalie Gannon, SMART Program Coordinator.